Monday, November 16, 2015

Elements and Origins




I saw the Body’s Exhibit over the weekend and I have to say that I am absolutely astounded at what amazing miracles we are.  Just to see how every piece and part of our physical bodies works perfectly in harmony to allow us to see, hear and do all of the things that we do each day is amazing.  It is so easy to take that for granted.  Never the one to be satisfied with the superficial, I must go deeper than the physical body.  It is elemental in nature as I have written of before, made from all of the elements, perfectly.  But what is behind it, beneath it or above it?  What keeps it going?



Seeing the teeny tiny parts of the brain, I am sorry but I am not a believer that everything we are comes from just the biological hunk of fibers referred to as the brain that is merely a component part of the suit we wear.  What I have come to understand is that we are so much more.  An elemental is just that, an elemental – full of pieces and parts formed with automatic and selective processes that put the body in motion.  But what animates that form intelligently?  I call it Consciousness.  Others use different terms.  When I say Consciousness, think Energy.  I mean Consciousness with a very, very large C more in line with the absolute infinite or “All of Everything” as is quoted in the Kybalion.  Others may use the term Cosmic Consciousness, God, Goddess or Source.



There are some very unscientific theories that what animates the elemental human is a very tiny part of that infinite and vast Cosmic Consciousness.  You might call that tiny portion the spirit or the soul.  When that animating consciousness withdraws itself, the body ceases functioning and dies.  But that consciousness lives on.  Energy cannot die but can only transform.  As I walked around viewing the exhibits, I saw the forms of the elementals reduced to their most varied and basic parts and I realized the body is truly only a vehicle for our consciousness or Consciousness, I should say.



Theologians have innumerable and sometimes synchronistic positions on what we are and where we came from.  While I respect those positions and related theories, I think they fall short of the truth.  It’s something I feel deep within from that place I know I can trust more than anything.  There is a knowingness that arises within us all when we have learned to become very still and quiet.  This knowingness belongs to the chain of command, so-to-speak, that goes from the smallest part of our Consciousness straight to the Largest most Infinite part of our Consciousness.



We often take bits and pieces of premise for granted or truth without digging deeper for the evidence.  Take our very existence as a prime example.  We rest our theories on writings from antiquity but where is the proof?  There isn’t any proof.  If we intended to prove how we came to be, there are so many intangible ideas we must contend with.  Science contends with this every day and they must create a premise from which they can build their hypotheses and theories.  So, we started somewhere and just went with that and we still hold today that we were created by a white bearded man who created two individuals in His image, one male and one female, yin and yang.



In the creation myths that abound from various cultures all over the globe, there are very similar and also very different tales of our origins.  Our origins seem a bit obscure, to put it lightly.  Some think we are aliens.  Maybe we are.  Some think we evolved from apes or fish.  Maybe we did.  Some think we were created by the Great White Bearded God that lives in a magical kingdom called heaven.  Maybe we did.  Some believe that we individuated from the great Cosmic Consciousness to enter this dimension as a holographic elemental image for the purpose of having an experience that we take back to the Source of the Cosmic Consciousness when we’ve completed our experiencing.  Maybe we did.



Where does that leave any of us who are wondering about our origins?  How do you choose when belief is all you have and very little if any evidence at all? Some might say, “Now Jaie, you must have faith.”  “In what?,” I would respond.  I have faith in my Consciousness.  You see, I had the privilege of being Conscious outside of the body in this vast nothingness and everythingness that was so peaceful, so very quiet that for the first time in my life I could think and be without everything that comes with these elemental trappings.  But even that experience is only filtered through my perception so cannot be objective.



When I go with that inner knowing feeling, I feel that I am a tiny part of a much bigger Spirit that stays always and ever connected to Source and in my moments of greatest inspiration or intuition it is THAT voice that speaks to me subtly, encouragingly and lovingly to guide me through this situation or that.  When I consider such things, origins become a bit unimportant as I turn to other questions like “Why am I here at all?”  Wouldn’t that be a cool question to have answered?  Again, I can’t go with anything the outside world would project upon me because it wouldn’t resonate as truth with me, with that still small voice of the Spirit that comes through nudging me this way or that.  My dissatisfaction I find is nothing more than an attachment that I really need carry no longer.  My Spirit knows where it came from and the elemental me that will return to the dust from whence it came when my consciousness pulls out for the last time will query no more. 



In all my questing for answers to the unanswerable, rather than give in to the frustration or buying anyone else’s answers as a definitive truth, I will go with what I trust and that is me.  I trust me implicitly.  My soul and spirit are clean.  I trust what comes through and I’m reassured that I need question no further.  I need only live and love and enjoy my time in this type of experience until my consciousness moves onto something else and be content with that.  Can I do it?  Yes, I think so and it starts today. 



In a way, I will always be an explorer of consciousness and seeking understanding of all of the things that create our behaviors and desires.  There is a part of me that wishes to protect an Earth that needs no protecting (yet another attachment).  All is perfect as it is because from it we are learning to take greater care.  From the tragedies we learn to be more careful with each other and ourselves.  From the hard times we learn to truly find gratitude for the good times.  From the desolate and lonely times we learn to turn within for comfort, solace and love.  These things and realizations take lifetimes sometimes.  And, that is okay.  So, suffice it to say, I’ve come to accept life on its terms and to have faith in myself to master whatever task I am called to master. That is my Consciousness and within that, I have that much faith in myself and no fear of failure.  Failure is learning. Am I any closer to the truth?  Well, I can’t say that I am for anyone else but I can say so for me.

(Photo:  NASA)

Rev. J.L. Harter, PhD, Founding Editor.  Please see Bio Section for additional information.